I am a systems architect & software engineer with experience in delivering commercially successful software by building strong teams, implementing proven SDLC processes, sharing good practice, best-of-breed systems, great code & UX.
I have held strategic and technical roles in a number of diverse projects in the FMCG, entertainment, e-commerce and telecommunications sectors and am highly experienced in the design and implementation of a diverse range of software technologies, specialising in Microsoft .NET & SQL Server.
In 2011, I co-founded Layer Systems, delivering commercial CRM software solution for telecoms & IT companies, winning and retaining a growing number of key contracts in the sector.
I love building technology solutions that help people and have a fanatical attention to detail for efficient code and fluid UX.
- Start-up experience
- DevOps infrastructure design & build (continuous integration pipeline design & build)
- Software development consultancy
- Infrastructure design and provisioning
- Application development
- Cloud builds (Azure & AWS)
- Solution design
- Database performance diagnose & fix
- Software project management
- Experience in building systems with large user base
- Developing SOA based systems
- Software process consultancy
- Data design
- Application performance monitoring
Technical Skills (*10yrs+):
- C# – All Versions *
- Microsoft .NET Framework Versions 1 through to Core *
- Commercial ASP.NET and ASP.NET MVC experience *
- Microsoft SQL Server – 2000-2016 (incl. clustering, HADR design & build) *
- Continuous Integration & Deployment Management
- Version control: git*
- Microsoft Windows Communication Foundation *
- Microsoft Windows Presentation Foundation
- Microsoft IIS – Versions 5, 6, 7 *
- Microsoft Windows Server Systems: All versions from Windows NT to 2008*
- Networking: Cisco Routing and Switching *
- Networking: VPN, IPSEC *
- Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator
- VB – All Versions *
- Strong communication skills
- Release mentality
- Ability to work on multiple projects
- Demonstrated understanding of how quality software is designed and constructed
A short summary of my history is below:
- Born on the 19th August 1982 in Irvine, Scotland.
- Primary school in Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire.
- Secondary school at Grange Academy, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire.
- 1998: Served as a Youth Representative on the Kilmarnock South Local Committee for East Ayrshire Council
- 1999: Worked with Abel Towers, Netherlands on commercial sites for Euro 2000 & Greenpeace
- 2000-1: Worked as a software developer with Procorp Associates, Inc in Houston, Texas
- 2000: Completed listings management system for What’s On Scotland magazine to serve print and web
- 2001: Started Weblimits Limited, offering development and shared hosting to over 230 customers.
- 2002: Completed 1 Year of MA Music at Glasgow University, Scotland.
- 2002: Transferred to BSc Computing at Glasgow Caledonian University, Scotland.
- 2003: Internship at Chevron in Aberdeen, Scotland.
- 2004: Developed e-commerce site for Inspirations Jewellery Limited
- 2006: Awarded BSc (Hons) 2:1 in Computing from Glasgow Caledonian University
- 2006: Project work for film24hr, Glasgow, Scotland
- 2006: Joined Grow Sales Limited (parent company) full-time as a software developer
- 2006: Started work on Grow Live application, a SAAS solution for field sales, service and market research industries.
- 2007: Became a director of Grow Live Limited – a spin off company from Grow Sales
- 2007: Grow Live shortlisted as Top 5 emerging Scottish businesses at the Scottish Software Awards
- 2007: Became a Professional member of the British Computing Society (MBCS)
- 2008: Company moves into Wireless Innovation Centre, an incubator for up and coming Scottish IT businesses
- 2008: The company takes on staff and becomes an Oracle and Microsoft Partner
- 2008: Launched Scotranslate, community English to Scottish translation web app.
- 2009: Grow Live works with leading brand and marketing company Fennon McRae on new brand proposition
- 2009: Grow Live product suite consolidated under Captua brand
- 2010: Captua moves into Queen’s House in Glasgow City Centre.
- 2010: Weblimits website and project management sytsem launched.
- 2010: Developed Centrestage Music Theatre application & website.
- 2010: Developed CS Performers website.
- 2011: Re-developed What’s On Scotland website for 25 year anniversary.
- 2011: Re-developed Kewney.com in .NET MVC 3
- 2011: Developed CS Performers web application
- 2011: Developed JHL Communications web application.
- 2011: Launched Scotranslate iPhone app featured on BBC Radio
- 2011: Established Layer Systems Ltd with Michelle Livingstone
- 2012: Prepared pre-launch marketing, branding and adverts for The Layer
- 2012: Ran the Berlin Marathon in 3:43:09
- 2013: Layer Systems takes on its first case study customers
- 2013: The Layer launches to telecoms & IT companies in the UK
- 2013: Launched The Layer website
- 2016: Layer Systems hires its 12th team member
Current Dev Toolbox